Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ethereal
Discuss Auto- trans. Don't be a jerk. Try SNOW mode. at the Toyota 86 / GT 86 within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; I love our auto transmission but find normal taking off a little too sudden to ...
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto- trans. Don't be a jerk. Try SNOW mode.

I love our auto transmission but find normal taking off a little too sudden to be smooth unless I try hard.
    Knowing SNOW mode eliminates first gear and forces second I tried it. Voila! It pulls away strongly and smoothly. ...hills or the flat, gentle pedal or booting it. No sign of struggle.
    It works with the cruise control and VSC Sport (which I normally use) but not Sport so I am leaving it in SNOW mode all the time.
    If anyone knows of a downside, please share.
    BRZ and Ollie like this.
    Toyota GTS auto

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ethereal For This Useful Post:

Ollie (06-02-16)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What/where is SNOW mode? Is it on auto-trans models only? Can't find reference to it on my man-trans GTS anywhere.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto- trans. Don't be a jerk. Try SNOW mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidl View Post
    What/where is SNOW mode? Is it on auto-trans models only? Can't find reference to it on my man-trans GTS anywhere.
    Auto only champ

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another forum I was advised that using SNOW mode routinely is a bad idea because it wears out clutches in the transmission.

That is a downer so I will stop.

Now I am wondering if the accelerator can be re-mapped.
    Toyota GTS auto

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an auto. I did not like the occasional elastic band surging feeling, occasional bouncy changes and always disliked the lurch when starting from standing. I too checked for harm with the Snow mode trick but could not get a straight answer.

Solution: have just fitted the differential bush inserts part KDT925 by Whiteline. There was no noticeable increase in noise/vibration/harshness, a 60% improvement in the surging and a 100% improvement in the starting lurch. Even the wife noticed it.

Cost $60 - $80 and simple enough to DIY or get it done next time the car is up on the hoist.. It's a no-brainer for an auto imho.
    Toyota GTS auto

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethereal View Post
    We have an auto. I did not like the occasional elastic band surging feeling, occasional bouncy changes and always disliked the lurch when starting from standing. I too checked for harm with the Snow mode trick but could not get a straight answer.

Solution: have just fitted the differential bush inserts part KDT925 by Whiteline. There was no noticeable increase in noise/vibration/harshness, a 60% improvement in the surging and a 100% improvement in the starting lurch. Even the wife noticed it.

Cost $60 - $80 and simple enough to DIY or get it done next time the car is up on the hoist.. It's a no-brainer for an auto imho.
    It turned out that the BEST part of this mod is the 100% cure of the take-off lurch that you get with the autos.
    I was unsure about the greasing of the inserts & asked Whiteline. "Jared" replied with not only a pic but also the following
    "For any red highlighted area, the main purpose is to avoid squeaking and to allow proper flexing of the bushing. Squeaking will be especially prevalent if friction occurs between a metal surface. If polyurethane is mated to rubber noise is less of an issue. Grease is necessary to keep the polyurethane in good shape and an added benefit is that the grease aids installation by allowing the insert to be pressed in more easily. In some cases, certain areas of the polyurethane must be left dry to allow some stiction as you have stated.

For the RH rear insert it is only necessary to grease the prongs as they make contact with rubber, It is possible to grease the teeth however it serves no purpose other than wasted grease. The teeth do not experience any changing friction with the bushing material to metal surface. Because this remains static, greasing is not necessary. This is also true for the LH.

The holes in the LH insert are designed to allow minor amounts of deflection. This kit is designed to be a compromise between rubber and solid replacements and our engineering team deemed that holes in the polyurethane insert would reduce some degree of harshness, even though the insert stiffens it up a fair amount."

parts greasing.jpg
    Toyota GTS auto