Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Discuss Engine pinging (rattle noise) under acceleration at the Toyota 86 / GT 86 within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone else here is hearing or getting engine ping with ...
    sho
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Engine pinging (rattle noise) under acceleration

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else here is hearing or getting engine ping with their brand new 86's.

I started to hear my motor pinging at about 850kms and initially thought it was a bad batch of fuel and coincidentally I had less than 1/4 of a tank to go and figured I'll swap over to V power to see if it was a bad batch of bp ultimate but it turned out that fuel wasn't the case.

The pinging occurs intermittently between 2000 to 3000rpm when you have no load on the throttle and apply throttle loading. I think it has happened a few times over 3000rpm for me. I've been able to replicate the ping in all gears besides first gear with anywhere of full load on the accelerator/throttle to even as low as 10% loading on the throttle with 5th gear being the easiest to replicate as your pretty much sitting in that rev range when your on the hume hwy at 70km/h.

I took the car over to the service center as I was booked in for the first service on Friday and advise them about the issue as well and if they can take a look at it. They went for a long test drive and didn't hear anything at first (typical) but then the foreman jumped in the car with me and I managed to get the motor to ping with him in the car.
    After a few talks in the car as he didn't think it was pinging, he drove the car again and finally we were both on the same page and the diagnose is that it was definitely pinging.

We then took the dealerships demo car out and replicated the issue on it as well and I also manage to meet up with one of my mates with his blue 86 who also have the ping as well.

I was advise by the service advisor to place some octane booster for now to see if it helps but no joy at all over the weekend and so I made the call this morning to inform him of the results and he told me that they tried some of the other 86's they had at the dealer since then and they all have the ping and have inform toyota australia of the issue.

Is anyone else experiencing engine ping?

Its sad to have such an issue with a brand new car which I have been waiting for a while for now
    mickjc75 likes this.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm this could be a major issue if it's across all the cars. Very interested to see what they come back with. Please keep us posted!
    Current Ride: 86 GT Manual Blue
    Previous Rides:
    2009 WRX, SR20 Onevia, SR20 180sx, 1997 H22a Prelude VTiR

Fanatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DR86 View Post
    Hmmm this could be a major issue if it's across all the cars. Very interested to see what they come back with. Please keep us posted!
    Wow, maybe there could be a silver lining to having to wait a long time for delivery in that they will hopefully rectify this problem soon and implement the fix on the production line. Interesting that this pinging has not been reported by a lot of other members, which could mean that the issue is maybe isolated to a particular batch of vehicles.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ya,
    Have only had my car (GTS86 man) for 1 week now and done 200km and have not noticed a ping but will check it out and report back - only used BP ultimate 98 ron fuel form picking up vehicle

cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal-pete View Post
    Wow, maybe there could be a silver lining to having to wait a long time for delivery in that they will hopefully rectify this problem soon and implement the fix on the production line. Interesting that this pinging has not been reported by a lot of other members, which could mean that the issue is maybe isolated to a particular batch of vehicles.
    Yeah very strange :\ Hopefully its just a certain batch

@Sho what was your batch number?
    Current Ride: 86 GT Manual Blue
    Previous Rides:
    2009 WRX, SR20 Onevia, SR20 180sx, 1997 H22a Prelude VTiR

sho
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not sure on batch number but i'll check when I get home

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar issue when the version 5 STI was released in Australia - the fuel/timing maps weren't optimised for Australian fuel and conditions and quite a few of them pinged themselves to death, requiring full engine replacements. I tend to keep my car fairly high in the rpm range where I'm less likely to get pinging, pinging is often more likely to occur in lower rpm under load in my experience. Hopefully this will be as simple as Toyota doing a bit more R & D on the fuel and timing maps, maybe pull a little timing. BUT I would have expected the knock sensor to pick up the detonation and pull a little timing to stop it from happening. Very unusual!
    Cheers,

Aaron
    Import Monster
    - your friendly neighbourhood forum sponsor - and fellow 86 owner
    3/6 Wigan Rd
    Bayswater VIC 3153
    www.importmonster.com.au

ermehgerd 86 keyrings BOXER POWAH!!! http://gt86.com.au/forum/f64/86-boxe...tock-now-1724/
    RAYS 57DR 18 x 9.5". Get them while you can http://gt86.com.au/forum/f64/new-ray...9-5-38-a-3818/

sho
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think even with the initial grb batch of STI, a lot of them had the same issue too?

But your right aaron, high rpm I don't notice any ping at all.

I thought the same too about the knock sensor and quite puzzled why the service guys said there was no codes and the foreman couldn't really explain why the knock sensor didn't pick it up. He did explained that all sensors in the car are very sensitive but stumped again when I asked if its sensitive then why it didn't pick it up..

Maybe the knock sensor as soon as it detects detonation, it pulls the timing to stop further detonation

sho
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal-pete View Post
    I think its quite easily missed if you don't know what your listening for i guess and depends on your loading as well maybe?

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just my 2cetns, but judging from similar reports in the US, the first thing that comes to mind would possibly be a cross-over on the fuel/ignition maps where the direct injection and the regular injctors overlap?
    of course im not, pro, its just what popped into my mind.
    -JJ
    WTB; BRZ, 6MT, Black/white (undecided).
    Planned Mods; HKS exhaust, HKS Coil-overs, Yokohama AD08's, CR Kai's, PERRIN goodies (pulley, sway bars, link ends) , TRD Door Stabilizers, TRD Intake filter, TRD brace set.

Current; 2012 Mazda2 (yeah, i know...)