Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112
Like Tree5Likes
Discuss Engine pinging (rattle noise) under acceleration at the Toyota 86 / GT 86 within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; With a bit of persistence,my dealer found my injectors to be leaking. Got them to ...
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a bit of persistence,my dealer found my injectors to be leaking. Got them to replace the injectors under warranty, i had a look at the injectors when they came out and they have a lot of gunk built up around the seal. They were replaced with new model injectors that superseded the original factory ones. No more pinging at this stage. Fingers crossed.

The injectors looked similar to the injectors in this thread, had alot of carbon build up.

Direct Injector Seal Installation | Video and Issues - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

I would encourage you guys to keep taking the issue back to your dealers as this seems to be a widespread issue.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm now in the process of trying to resolve this ping issue with Toyota Australia. Surely now they must at least recognise it as a fault.
    Did they give you any fault reference number or anything that I can use?
    Thanks Again,
    TOM

Stroller
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I picked up an MY17 late last year, and I'm experiencing the same symptoms as the OP. Slight throttle between 2000-3000 rpm will rattle(ping). I'm at about 5000km, I noticed it maybe after about ~~1500km? Octane booster *almost* fixes it, it's worse in hot weather. I try to avoid it driving around the burbs but on the freeway sometimes cruise control will sit right on it. I did accidentally put a tank of E10 through it (it's 2nd tank), If I have trouble I'm hoping they won't deny warranty over this. Never been to a track, but I did a couple of hard runs up lake mountain road, otherwise I've babied it, trying to keep the last 3 points on my licence.
    I've researched on here and seen pics of burnt injector seals before the engines failed catastrophically. I'm very worried, I'll be reporting it to the service dept as soon as I return from overseas.
    I read this entire thread, but didn't see what the final outcome was for Sho?

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your car is constantly pinging at around 2650rpm @ cruise speed (100kmh) I'd guess you have a major problem which Toyota needs to address ASAP - do it now !

If it's fuel - E10's RON is way to low for BR86 but it won't kill it. Run current tank of fuel down to virtually nil then fill up with 98 of your choice, BP is said to be best although you will hear crickets, not on VPower. Perhaps half fill tank with 98 then use all of it then re-fill with 98 & re-check for pinging. This car will knock on 98 although it should hardly be noticeable unless it's tip-in in which case you will momentarily. Essentially the stock tune is crap on our crappy 98 fuel. Your MY17 car should not have DI seal issue which plagued MY12 cars up until Jan 2013.
    Last edited by ZZT86; 09-01-17 at 11:32 AM.

Stroller
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do notice it during tip in. When I said cruise control will sit right on it, I mean it sits at the range where slight throttle increases will result in frequent pings. Pinging duration might be up to a full second, I'm not sure if *constant* pinging is possible.

I took it to Toyota today and demonstrated it. Verdict was "No fault found - customer to monitor".

At this stage I'm hoping it survives the warranty period without significant damage, then I'll fix it with an aftermarket tune. If it dies during warranty, so be it. If anything in between happens, I lose :-(

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next fill add 6L of E85 to 44L of 98 & see how you go. Bet you will notice the difference almost immediately !

Stroller
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickjc75 View Post
    So I picked up an MY17 late last year, and I'm experiencing the same symptoms as the OP. Slight throttle between 2000-3000 rpm will rattle(ping). I try to avoid it driving around the burbs but on the freeway sometimes cruise control will sit right on it.
    Hi @mickjc75, I have the EXACT same issue 100% as you have described it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one, but shocked that Subaru and Toyota are selling cars that are incorrectly tuned. I've been in at Toyota twice (Camberwell), and both times the techs have acknowledged this is pinging and they need to investigate, but days later, the manager tells me "they were unable to find any faults"! I've since been to Subaru (Docklands) who would like to help, but are unable to. I'm back in at Toyota tomorrow to make sure they are "able to find the fault". Pinging constantly when driving long distances on a highway is unacceptable. Keep pestering your dealership, we need a fix for this issue!

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its a 2012-2016 car the tune is crap and they all ping on out 98 fuels. Toyota/Subaru cannot fix it . you would need to get car re-tuned.

he 2017 tune is a lot better but they cannot use that in the older cars