Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Discuss Track Ready limited edition review at the Toyota 86 / GT 86 within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; Hi guys! I am new to these forums and recently picked up a new 2017 ...
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Track Ready limited edition review

Hi guys!

I am new to these forums and recently picked up a new 2017 86 - the Track Ready Limited Edition model and I have been blown away! But first a few details about myself. Born and raised in rural NSW, been involved in motorsport since i could walk, starting on 2 wheels then to 4 im a qualified mechanic with specialization in rebuilding diffs and gearboxes and just a general all round car guy! While i used to be sucked in by the usual Ford vs Holden group, i gravitated towards the japanese market because i preferred something that was actually agile and that i could modify and make me own. I have owned a couple of skylines, a GTR, WRX, 180sx, XR8 ute and even an old datsun 1200 coupe that i built a forged CA18 that was pushing over 300hp at the rear tyres... was an absolute demon. Will write a general list and then break everything down into categories for reviews on various bits.

Anyways, enough of me, time to give me thoughts and impressions of this lovely car. There are only 60 available of this model in Australia and only 4 in WA. When i called around apparently all had been spoken for, so i called over Victoria and sourced one. Told them exactly what i wanted - (all the paint and interior protection, tinted windows, lock nuts etc) and the best price they could do for it with a 7 day movement permit because i lived in WA. All in all it cost me just over $43k. The limited edition comes with far beefier brakes measuring 326mm x 30mm with 4 pot brembo calipers up front (GTS has 294mm x 24mm) and even have larger pads. Rears are 316mm x 20mm with 2 pot calipers - (GTS has 290mm x 18mm). It also featuresd Sachs dampers. now not too sure if many people are aware but Sachs is a huge company in Germany that make a lot of top shelf items for BMW and Mercedes etc. These dampers have been paired with the 2017 facelifted suspension changes and have made a huge difference to the vehicle. Other changes in this edition is the interior stitching is all orange and the usually plastic dash facia panel, intrument cluster and arm rests on the doors are finished in alacantra. Looks and feels quite luxurious despite the intended purpose of the car!

Leaving the dealership on my first leg to Adelaide i was able to start playing around with the seating postions and steering wheel position to find the best spot and after a bit i did find the perfect spot. There is a lot of adjustment which is fantastic for all sizes of people although if you are a plus sized person the bucket seats may very well prove a bit of a pain over any long distance. The brakes.... just one word: WOW!!! The first time i had to stop at the end of the street of the dealership i nearly put my self through the windscreen. Up to this point i was used to the parents 2016 gts, but these items are a world apart. Despite the tightness of the engine it felt like it pulled more and faster but i think thats down to slight change in diff ratios than anything else. Slow speed ride is definitely improved, the suspension is far more compliant but still has the same firmness of the last years GTS.

Once out on the open road and a few higher speed corners and the smile on my face said it all. For a factory equipped car this is just a dream to drive. I have never driven a vehicle where i have not wanted to touch the suspension and modifiy it to suit my driving style. It has been so well tweaked its just amazing. Even over bad roads and sitting on the speed limit round corners, this suspension just soaks it all up, really gives you confidence that it can take more. Coming into adelaide i took it in for its 100okm check but i also requested a service be completed on it as i was going over the Nullabor plains with it. Everything was completed and cost me about $170 for oil and filter change. On the next part of the trip the engine felt a little freer and revved a little cleaner but of course still felt tight above 5krpm. Over the nullabor i set my cruise to a ah... higher than normal speed limited and the car still returned a really nice 7.3L / 100km. Very impressed. Now on to the specific reviews of each areas...

Handling: I have had the chance to throw the car around now at low and naughty speeds and i can now say that it truly is a brilliantly setup car for the occasional track use. These Sachs dampers really allow you to push the corners and where you would normally feel the very limit of the 2016 suspension and how it started to feel unsettled and start throwing you sideways - this suspension was still fully compliant and soaked up bumps and ruts and broken concrete without making the car feel unsettled. At slow speed corners and slalom type maneuvers, the weight transfer feels a little less and the pendulum affect isnt as bad but the stock tyres do take a little movement as they do have soft sidewalls and does add a bit for comfort. High speed corners both rough and smooth are a complete delight. Where the outgoing model feels harsh and nervous at the limit over rough terrain this soaks it all and gives you the feeling it can take more and id even go so far as to say it invites you to go harder. On the smooth high speed corners the stock tyres and their soft sidewalls can really be felt but not at any time have i felt to be anything less than forgiving, predictable and inviting. For a car that will see street 90% of the time, this suspension is so well setup that i am planning to run this car in the "Challenge" category of next years West Coast Targa rally. Simply amazing.

Brakes: A lot of Toybaru owners have made the upgrade to the earlier model wrx's for the brembo brakes and these OEM brembos are seriously amazing, as they ought to be! I performed an emergency braking procedure to not collect a wild goat that jumped out in the middle of the road while crossing the Nullabor at about 3am in the morning. I was travelling faster than i should have but the brakes really pulled me up a lot sooner than i had expected. For factory pads, the inital bite is very strong but i wouldnt say that it was overly aggressive to the point where you would have to be mentally aware of it all the time. So far i havent encountered any hint of brake fade even after a few spirited runs out the back of Perth in the hills. They really do have a progressive feel and its consistent from the moment you put your foot down. Very
    reassuring.

Gearbox: Very Subaru. Having said that it does have the precision that i remember and even though its just got over 4000kms on the clock it will be a little while before it all beds in properly. Havent had any issues with it so far but it is great! No difference to the outgoing model.

Diff: IJ really do enjoy the Torsen type LSD's, for everyday driving and spirited track driving it is the ideal type you would want. Even when i have pushed the car from slight understeer to oversteer the car feels like it just corrects itself and with the suspension the way that it is, hard trail braking into a corner leads to a rear end that just steps sideways with a slight turn of the wheel and stepping on the pedal just completes the move and it straightens up and around the corner. This diff has a lot to do with handling characteristics of this chassis and i wouldnt go a clutch type LSD unless it was seeing hard motorsport use.

Steering: To me the steering is sharper too. I can still feel the flex in the sidewalls of the stock tyres though turn-in is impressive and the amount of feedback is very much the same as the outgoing model though for some reason it feels more responsive but im putting that down to a slightly smaller diamter.

Interior: Basically the same as the facelifted GTS however it does a few Alacantra inserts that really do enhance the quality of the cabin. Never had heated seats before but OMG! so awesome... I not really a fan of the Toyota infotainment system. Its clunky and laggy and quite slow however having said that, the satnav side of things is extremely accurate and easy to read and follow. The orange accent stitching was not as bright as i thought it would be so i was happy about that and forget about this being a 4 seater. You would have to have 2 friends that are circus midgets to be able to fit comfortably back there lol! The have included a new 4" colour screen on the right hand side of the gauge cluster that shows you Oil temp, Water temp and voltage, can also go through a lap timer and stopwatch function but the best is the G- Meter. It only goes to 1 G though so if you do like driving it will look like a diamond like mine

Exterior: This Solar Orange colour is slowly growing on me and the rims for this model look like a skinnyier version of the nissan 350z wheels but i love the different colour highlights of black against the bright orange, suits really well. there is about 2mm of clearance from the spokes and the brembo calipers. I have asked Toyota and to my knowledge the 18" TRD wheel option is NOT compatible with the brembo brakes... The new wing while its an improvement on the outgoing GTS model im still not really a lover.

Engine: The car has just over 4000kms on the clock now and it is revving freer up top. With the slight change in gearing and the slightly higher output it FEELS quicker than the outgoing model. Of course the usual torque dip is still there but it still is very much the same engine.

Thats about it i think... i will update the handling side of things as i have bought the TRD motion control beams and the strut brace aswell as the door stabilizers. I will write a separate review on these items aswell for the community. If theres anything else you wish to know, please ask and i will answer and update this review. I know its not the best but i have never really typed up a review before, just some How-To posts.

See you round guys!!!!

20170825_130811.jpg20170825_130816.jpg20170825_130850.jpg20170825_131950.jpg20170825_132013.jpg20170828_152026.jpg20170828_152037.jpg20170828_152044.jpg

Last edited by Fenix; 15-09-17 at 08:46 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenix For This Useful Post:

ZZT86 (14-09-17)

Fanatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, you need some really nice pics to compliment the story . . . .

Oh & how is the gearbox 1-2 & 2-3 change in the cold morning ?
    Last edited by ZZT86; 14-09-17 at 07:50 PM.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
    Oh man, you need some really nice pics to compliment the story . . . .

Oh & how is the gearbox 1-2 & 2-3 change in the cold morning ?
    Pics have been attached! Will be posting up some more soon too at a better locale. In the morning the cold shift is a little stiff yes but not at all notchy. 2-3 is smooth. I noticed going from 2-1 when cold i basically have to stop so now im just in the habit of going to neutral as i stop. I will be changing out my gearbox and diff fluid at the 10,000km mark anyways.

I have a boat load of parts coming so will post before and after pics of everything that is replaced plus maybe even some how-to's on the short shifter install and start button etc plus reviews

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenix For This Useful Post:

ZZT86 (18-09-17)

Fanatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why Subaru screwed the under hood spray job - was it a white base then sprayed the orange over the top ? I love the exterior colour though. I asked about the gearbox as it was/has been a major concern for many re synchro crunch from 1-2 when cold, not an issue when hot. I've seen your list or TRD goodies - very nice.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a nice and clean looking engine you have there

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought one of these in July.Approached Toyota about the crap under bonnet painting and was fobbed off.Car itself is very good,surprised how smooth the gearbox was from new-no notchiness.Clutch was very light compared to my 2012 86.Brakes are great as are the shocks.I put the 17x8 OZ Ultraleggeras with 225-45/17 Bridgestone RE003's from my old car on it.LE wheels were nice but still had the Eco Michelins of which I'm not a fan.4.3 diff makes a big difference around town,but hasn't affected the fuel consumption on the open road.
    At a recent Trackschool Trackdays event at Wakefield John Boston did a couple of laps and was impressed by the brakes and shocks,and the lower gearing.
    All in all a nice upgrade from the earlier car which was very good in it's standard form.
    Last edited by MACCAA; 22-12-17 at 12:59 PM.