Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Discuss Subaru Sat Nav - Anyone have one? at the Subaru BRZ within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; Just picked up mine today. Can say that the unit is not all that bad ...
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up mine today. Can say that the unit is not all that bad haven't had a good crack at it yet though, had a shot at the voice control but couldn't get it to work... Didn't actually notice the wire hanging out like that from Redmists' pics. How ever I am disappointed in the location of the usb port, would have preferred it in a more discrete place. Also disappointing when i realised the glove box doesn't have a light that comes on. Might have to diy one in.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the USB port in the centre console is fairly ordinary....

If you tell subaru directly they can route the USB into the glove box when they install the sat-nav unit.
    For any people who are still waiting on there order and want to do this give Natalie a call and talk to your dealer once your car has landed. We had our done that way and although its not as practical it looks so much nicer than having that horrible rubber grommet cut into the centre console.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otter For This Useful Post:

Redmist (11-02-13),RJ_ (07-02-13)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing some RTA measurements on the factory speakers and they are *woeful*. I've seen $20 speakers that perform much better. The tweeters are dull and the mid-bass seems to be only capable of playing one bass note. No amount of EQ can save them.

Even if you've got no intention of adding amps/subs etc. I'd highly recommend replacing the speakers even with very modest after-market speakers. Unfortunately, the doors will require some spacers like these...

Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S | Subaru Audio

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redmist For This Useful Post:

phenryiv1 (13-02-13),RJ_ (11-02-13)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post

If you tell subaru directly they can route the USB into the glove box when they install the sat-nav unit.
    For any people who are still waiting on there order and want to do this give Natalie a call and talk to your dealer once your car has landed. We had our done that way and although its not as practical it looks so much nicer than having that horrible rubber grommet cut into the centre console.
    What about fitting it in the standard location just under the centre console units? Ie. like the non sat nav ones... Doesn't that look neater ?

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nav2k View Post
    What about fitting it in the standard location just under the centre console units? Ie. like the non sat nav ones... Doesn't that look neater ?
    Yeah that's true for mini USB sticks but having an iPod lead hanging out of there is a bit messy and gets in the way. Glovebox is probably a tidier option. I think I'm going to file a complaint with Subaru Australia about the SatNav install. I was too excited about the car to care at first but the more I look at it, the more it bugs me that they hacked up the (highly visible) centre console and the voice command wire is almost embarrassing.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post

When I asked if I could have my USB cable run into the glovebox, this was thr response from Natalie:

There have been a couple of Sat Nav’s fitted at the Dealerships that have had the USB in the glove box.

Subaru (Aust) have to install the Sat Nav as per instruction from the factory which is not in the glove box. I can only suggest that if this if you do want it fitted as per below, best to liaise with your Dealership to see if they can fit it in your preferred way. If they can we can remove from your order and you can have them order the unit and fit prior to delivery.
    Current: Black 2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon - SOLD -
    Future: White Subaru BRZ (Estimated Delivery: April 2013)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ALBRZ For This Useful Post:

RJ_ (26-02-13)

nix
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalbs View Post
    I've gotta say, I'm disappointed with it. The menu structure is not intuitive and is difficult to follow. Doing simple things are unnecessarily complex. The instructions are headache-inducing. Compared to others I've used, it has a long way to go to be user friendly. The fact that you get locked out from using certain functions when the handbrake is off is crazy, when you have a passenger who could be using it while you concentrate on the road.

The maps are very, very out of date. The process to get map updates is complicated, compared to aftermarket (TomTom for example) but many of the road changes I've encountered are probably three or four years old and still not in this 2013 vehicle. I'm faced with a convoluted process to have a vehicle that should have had them included, just to bring it up to current.

I also have had some difficulty in finding locations/places/attractions that I know are not new. I've experienced following the map for several km on a country road and then being told to turn around, and then being taken back to my starting point, to be told "You have reached your destination" so its seems to be 'buggy'.

I'm convinced it was not good value for money.
    Menu has been fine for me.

Bypassing a handbrake lockout is illegal in our market.

"VERY VERY out of date"? It's 2-3 years. Most street directories are worse. Updates are free for x years as someone said.

I had one example like you said of the GPS basically failing hardcore which was around Geelong -> Frankston area, which had some very new roads and in a rural area.

The issues I have with it really are to do with the music player (no advanced play options like repeat, shuffle, fast forward, pause etc) as well as how you have to accept terms and conditions on the MAPS every time before using it.

Also I had some signal issues but my dealership relocated the GPS antenna for me... they originally had stuck it to the top of the din, once they moved it away from the unit it has been perfect.

The positives are GOOD sound quality (for an all in 1 GPS deck), 3x RCA split pre-outs meaning potential for great sound via external amps. Solid speed camera/traffic light camera warnings. I would even say better GPS quality both in term of processing power and updates than even some tom tom units I've used.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nix For This Useful Post:

Redmist (04-03-13)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, So i am still in the dark about how to update the maps. Also do we get free updates from Subaru???? I have no documentation stating this. Have checked the manual, eclipse website etc. I may be a little slow, but could someone please advise on how i update the maps.

Also this is the first audio unit with touchscreen i have used. While i am liking the unit much more with familiarity. I do think simple buttons are much more user friendly for cars, touch screens can be such a pain to operate while driving.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got the sat nav installed and they too drilled a hole in my console and just have the wire hanging out of there..... what i dont get is why they didnt put the usb in the section on the bottom left of the controls witha usb flap....same as what they did in the FRS's...seems lazy/cheep and illogical where and how they out it!

http://www.motormavens.com/emAlbum/a...G_0832-672.jpg

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AUmarvin View Post
    OK, So i am still in the dark about how to update the maps. Also do we get free updates from Subaru???? I have no documentation stating this. Have checked the manual, eclipse website etc. I may be a little slow, but could someone please advise on how i update the maps.

Also this is the first audio unit with touchscreen i have used. While i am liking the unit much more with familiarity. I do think simple buttons are much more user friendly for cars, touch screens can be such a pain to operate while driving.
    Made a DIY to Help out with this -DIY - Updating BRZ Satnav Headunit
    Last edited by WR BRZ; 13-03-13 at 12:10 PM.
    Click Image for Build Thread