Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fenix
  • 1 Post By ZZT86
Discuss JDM Quickshifter review at the Tuning and Performance within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; Hi guys! I cant seem to find many accurate reviews of the JDM quickshifter on ...
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDM TRD Quickshifter review

Hi guys!

I cant seem to find many accurate reviews of the JDM quickshifter on the net, so will write up a short one here for our community. Will also type up a DIY install as well with links to both.

So far all the TRD parts i have bought have been packaged EXTREMELY well in plain unassuming boxs which i found refreshing and didnt worry about keeping the boxes stashed on the rear parcel seat for a few days till i got around to installing them all. Comes wrapped in hard plastic to protect it from any type of dust/water ingress and was already kinda lubed, however during the install i did spray some more lithium grease in a few areas just to be sure of a smooth shifting action and tight seal.

Toyota claims a 20% shorter throw and also advises a trade-off of a heavier action is which is actually why i chose to do this mod. While i love the crisp and precise shifting action, i found it a little too light for me. There will always be a consequence of quickshifting action, its just physics. Having said that, the weight of the throw now while shorter, to me is damn perfect! Genuine TRD parts have been carefully made to ENHANCE what the car is all about, not change it. Toyota have done a top job.

Another trade-off is that cold shifting has been made a little difficult getting it into 1st and the 1st - 2nd shift change. However i have since realised that shifting at the same speed as i used to means im actually shifting faster than i used to, so just for the first few kms and while taking off im mindful of shifting slower than i used to and its back to normal

After its all warmed up and going through the twisty stuff, the slightly shorter but heavier action is where it fits together and i couldnt be happier! In my opinion, while its an expensive mod (cost me about $420) i feel its worth it, it enhances what the car is already there for and doesnt change its characteristics that made us fall in love with it to begin with. There is no change in the feel or no notchiness or anything like that. Feels like a slightly heavier and shorter factory shift.

Feel free to ask me any questions if i havent answered them!

See ya round!
    Last edited by Fenix; 26-09-17 at 08:59 AM.
    BRZ likes this.

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Ashiko gear knob will fix the lightness of the change for ya For me I would love an even shorter throw than stock so I could consider this quickshift.
    BRZ likes this.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDM Quickshifter review

I have driven a weighted knob and yes it does make it a little heavier but the feel doesnt change from stock.

The japanese TRD is a genuine short throw shifter. Personally i think the throw is perfect, i wouldnt have it any shorter. The BEST thing about this shifter is the increased feel you get with it, something that just a weighted knob cant give you.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Turn to the side and start to glide...