Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
Discuss OpenFlash Tuning Tech: Tales from the Dyno (Stock, Ecutek and OpenFlash tunes) at the Tuning and Performance within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; Fascinating threads coming from these guys which I find very enlightening and hope you will ...
    Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OpenFlash Tuning Tech: Tales from the Dyno (Stock, Ecutek and OpenFlash tunes)

Fascinating threads coming from these guys which I find very enlightening and hope you will too.

Especially interesting for the analysis of the Ecutek tune with comments such as-
    Accel pedal torque request tables-- these were modified to make the car feel "more peppy" so that the press of the throttle pedal results in more throttle opening. This doesn't actually improve max power but does give the subjective impression of more power.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46723

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:

Bodalenko (27-09-13)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sierra.

Wow what a thread. I'm exhausted after reading it right thru.

Shiv Vishnu seems like the Golden Child of tuning at the moment where the 86 and BRZ are concerned. I like the fact he didn't tear shreds of Ecutek but the inexperienced tuners who use and obviously sell it.

At $US586 including postage = $A670converted ($A.90 exchange rate and with Visa 3% fee) this is still a hefty investment. Right up there with the Nameless purchases. $US91 postage seems pretty high for just a 6x4 tablet and cable, especially when compared to the Nameless AB and FP boxes.

We should see how many interested parties there are and approach Shiv for a group buy.
    2013 GTS / Mt Fuji Red / Tint / Opti Guard Pro / 18x8.5 +38 Gram Lights 57DR / Nameless AB and Helm Holtz DP / K&N Filter / Mtec Shift springs / Mtec Track Knob / Tomei UEL Headers / Innovate oil press/temp Gauge / Innovate AFR Gauge / OFT.

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad that you read it!
    I'm still looking but this is certainly the ECU tune that is calling out for my cash. Shiv seems a genuine guy who knows his stuff and takes a pride in his work and I feel confident in his ability make the most of what's there, safely. Some of the tuners have proven to be downright scary.

The postage does seem high so I mentioned the 2kg Grimmspeed strut brace I got for US$52 postage and they offered to do it for US$55 using USPS and setting it up manually with Paypal. That brings it down to about US$554.

[email protected] for the manual discount postage.

The difference is that we own it, can use the latest tunes for free and also get a dyno tune locally.
    I think that I might manage to do this without having a cerebral meltdown is another big plus!
    Last edited by sierra; 27-09-13 at 08:43 PM.

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $700 is cheap for a solution that can do basically everything, even pull your own stock rom yourself and not rely on the vendor providing what they think your stock rom image is.

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
    We should see how many interested parties there are and approach Shiv for a group buy.
    Say we had 10 and got them for US$449. We could have them all sent to the most central address for US$100? and then collect or airbag them from there.
    US$459 = AU$500 + a $10 airbag for those interstate?

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue I see, and I think I read it in one of Shiv's posts, is that his tunes are US engine specific.

I don't know if the OEM tune is universal, but it's one thing that needs to be clarified. Different markets have different EPA requirements.

One of the data logs I saw in the posts mentions a max OS temp relating to the tune of 43c. Now 43c might be very hot in the US but here it's not that uncommon. I'd hate my tune to give up at 44c.

I'm sure, like most things, there are work arounds although his site mentions tunes being available for various vehicle configurations not markets.

If this has been clarified delete ref.
    2013 GTS / Mt Fuji Red / Tint / Opti Guard Pro / 18x8.5 +38 Gram Lights 57DR / Nameless AB and Helm Holtz DP / K&N Filter / Mtec Shift springs / Mtec Track Knob / Tomei UEL Headers / Innovate oil press/temp Gauge / Innovate AFR Gauge / OFT.

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fizz
    When will you guys be officially supporting non-USDM customers?
    We should have 6AT support by this weekend. After that, we will start supporting non-US ROMs. We will probably have some sort of official announcement early next week. And another one shortly after that

Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB - View Single Post - OpenFlash Tablet

Fanatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I like the sound of all this but how reliable will the engine be with these maps compared to stock ? Assuming we get tunes for our cars/fuel & climate. Who can I get to set up, could I do it? Does it require dyno time & who in Melb ? I'm a noob when it comes to ECU tuning so any info would be great. Must read some more :/

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the email I sent and the answer.

Just to clarify.
    It's the map I'm wondering about. Our 86's and BRZ's have probably
    got the same ECU settings as yours in the US but if there is a difference
    then that might cause problems if say it's related to RHD instead of LHD
    or differences in the car's hardware?
    I'm assuming the map that is flashed to the car is a complete US modified
    version?

No ecu and rom file are exactly the same between FRS/BRZ in the US. The same ROM file will also work with jdm ft86, its the same ROM. Looks the same. RHD and LHD works the same. No difference there. US and JDM version doesn't matter they work the same. I have sold a OFT to Japan and its works.

Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
    I think I like the sound of all this but how reliable will the engine be with these maps compared to stock ? Assuming we get tunes for our cars/fuel & climate. Who can I get to set up, could I do it? Does it require dyno time & who in Melb ? I'm a noob when it comes to ECU tuning so any info would be great. Must read some more :/
    The US 93 octane is the same as our 98 octane and it gets just as hot as it does here.
    The map you download is an optimised base map suitable for our cars and dependant on what mods it has. One guy mentioned his WRX had a Shiv tune for 7 years with no problems and he loved it.

Let's face it, they are tripling the power with turbos. This is very little by comparison.
    ZZT86 likes this.