Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Discuss Speakers upgrade - share yours at the Car Audio, Lighting and Electronics within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; Did anyone buy speaker mounts for their cars?...
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone buy speaker mounts for their cars?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AL008 For This Useful Post:

Krysis (19-09-14)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 86er View Post
    Replaced front sides with Kicker DS60 6" speakers. Had to rip the stock speakers off the plastic housing, and clip off the magnet so I could silicon the Kickers onto the plastic housing / bracket. You'll know what I mean when you see the stock speaker. $85 from JB Hi Fi, but my local JB store had a pair for $55.

Replaced back sides with with Fusion 4" speakers. My bro gave them to me. He told me he paid $10 for them.
    how did you mount the 4" in the rears? did you fit them to the original mount or fabricate a new one?
    White Toyota 86 GTS

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a set of speaker mounts off america for the front doors but arrived late and I just made my own in the end.
    willing to sell them if anyone wants.

I just finished my system sound deadened n all.
    went for Morel 6.5 Virtus in the stock locations and boot install..sub in the wheel well and amps flush mounted in the boot. (2 x focal amps).
    did half the work myself and got the box / floor made up.

RJ_
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting close to getting the following with the Eclipse AVN827GA.

Focal 165V30
    Alpine KTP-445u
    Some sort of acoustic door treatment

I'm going to run line level out of the head, forget the rear channels and bridge the amp.

About $1200 fitted depending on the door treatment.

Thoughts?

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbrender View Post
    how did you mount the 4" in the rears? did you fit them to the original mount or fabricate a new one?
    I used a hacksaw to cut the silver bracket into bits I needed. Basically, what I did was cut the two arms of the bracket off and attached them to the new speakers. In hindsight, I should've bought some mdf from the local Bunnings and used the silver bracket as a template. Would've been so much easier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 86er For This Useful Post:

Rbrender (03-06-13)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got around to upgrading my speakers. I went with some 6.5" Scanspeak Revelator 18W4531 ($470 pr) and some SB Acoustics SB29RDNC tweeters. ($115 pr) I'm running them active with a JBL MS-8 and an older Alpine V12 amp. The MS-8 comes with mics and has auto-tune. I'm not really convinced by the auto-tune feature - it did a great job of sound staging and time alignment but I still had to spend a couple of hours fixing some nasty issues around 6-12kHz using the MS-8's 31-band EQ. It sounded a bit 'swishy' like a LQ MP3. Thankfully I got it sorted and I went from being slightly annoyed to truly amazed.

The thing that impressed me most was the low end. The Revelators put a lot of 8" subwoofers to shame. Clean, tight, deep bass from 6.5" mounted in a door was not what I was expecting. The stock speakers sound like a damp paper bag in comparison. The SB tweets probably weren't the best choice for the stock BRZ locations but they're such fundamentally good tweeters that I figured any issues could be overcome with tuning and that was certainly the case. They're ridiculously clean and detailed for the price. Again, the factory tweeters sound like they're buried under a pile of jumpers by comparison.

My last vehicle had some Focal speakers that cost about the same and they were pretty damn good but not in the same league as this set up. I might post some pics some time...

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    I finally got around to upgrading my speakers. I went with some 6.5" Scanspeak Revelator 18W4531 ($470 pr) and some SB Acoustics SB29RDNC tweeters. ($115 pr) I'm running them active with a JBL MS-8 and an older Alpine V12 amp. The MS-8 comes with mics and has auto-tune. I'm not really convinced by the auto-tune feature - it did a great job of sound staging and time alignment but I still had to spend a couple of hours fixing some nasty issues around 6-12kHz using the MS-8's 31-band EQ. It sounded a bit 'swishy' like a LQ MP3. Thankfully I got it sorted and I went from being slightly annoyed to truly amazed.

The thing that impressed me most was the low end. The Revelators put a lot of 8" subwoofers to shame. Clean, tight, deep bass from 6.5" mounted in a door was not what I was expecting. The stock speakers sound like a damp paper bag in comparison. The SB tweets probably weren't the best choice for the stock BRZ locations but they're such fundamentally good tweeters that I figured any issues could be overcome with tuning and that was certainly the case. They're ridiculously clean and detailed for the price. Again, the factory tweeters sound like they're buried under a pile of jumpers by comparison.

My last vehicle had some Focal speakers that cost about the same and they were pretty damn good but not in the same league as this set up. I might post some pics some time...
    Yes please post some pics, I have just pulled out my Focals in my old car but I was looking at selling them and going for 165KRX3 6.5″ K2 3-WAY $1,649 | Focal Car Audio Australia

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have had something wrong when I did the first set up because I just recalibrated it today and it sounded perfect straight away with no EQ. I had one of the tweeter brackets in the wrong mounting point too but it was only out by 2cm and I doubt the calibration would be that sensitive. Anyway, I am now a seriously happy camper. This was my first attempt at an active/DSP system and it's made me a believer.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill be getting Focal 165v30 intalled this week.
    running off a Rockford Fosgate PBR300 x4 ...75w per channel. ( this amp is tiny for the power 4cm x 11cm x 17cm) they think they will be able to hide it behind the dash somewhere
    and Focal sound deadening done on the doors
    I have put in some crappy $35 4" Fusion's in the rear as an experement cause I recon the factory 3" would just blow
    if you want a laff turn you fader fully to the rear and crank he volume ....wow is all I can say
    Last edited by Thunderace; 02-06-13 at 08:18 AM.

RJ_
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AL008 View Post
    Did anyone buy speaker mounts for their cars?
    I have some of these in the mail.

Subaru BRZ Scion FR-S Toyota GT86 | Subaru Audio