Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Karl07
  • 1 Post By oli
Discuss Experience at the Off-Topic General Discussions within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; I'm not sure if this fits ''off-topic'' but I don't know where else to post ...
    Stroller
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Experience

I'm not sure if this fits ''off-topic'' but I don't know where else to post (please move, if its in the wrong place).

Side note: This is a tad embarrassing, feeling like a knob but fk it.

On thursday night, I went to my first car meet and I did it solo (EOMM). The entire experience was intense and exciting, I came early and parked my 86 and walked around... suddenly two modified 86s (or one of them is brz, didn't check properly) parked next to my stock car. It was truly overwhelming, it made me excited but at the same time, bit disappointing. It's disappointing because I never felt so plain, i'm grateful for my car but it somewhat felt inferior BUT at the same time, I gained some ideas on what I would like on my 86.

I'm not sure if i made the right choice of going alone to one of the biggest meets in Sydney. I was learning things on the way. I feel pretty lucky coming to the event early, after an hour there was a long, long queue and almost no parking (well there is, on the grass, but i think people were too lazy). I also did not know where the exit was, so I had to wait and see if anyone left, I was seriously afraid to look like a fool. The people were friendly but it was a bit hard to talk to them, since majority of the people are there came with a group. The only people that seemed to be alone were the photographers.

The exit. So many people parked outside of the event and lined up along the road. It felt like the audiences in Initial D. Since it was my first meet, I did not know how to respond to this pressure. I know that people hate that ''one-guy-who-gets-the-event-banned'', but it seriously felt like they want a show as you leave, the driver in front of me revved and did a little skid. That moment seriously felt like a speech in front of 300 people, afraid of making a mistake when leaving, i hear people somewhat cheering and a bit of ''is that it''.

On the highway, I probably say this is the best part of my night. There was so many cars, I would not consider it as a cruise since I was going back home. There's a fb post that says ''driving is my therapy'', it seriously felt good, couldn't stop smiling (Shout out to the guy in the red 86 that overtook me).

Rx-7.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for taking your time to read this (if you do), hopefully no one recognised me from the night (jokes).

P.S. to all the people that wanted me to speed, i'm on my reds and I lost two demerit points... rather keep my license haha

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find that a lot of car enthusiasts will appreciate someone who keeps their car stock as its more likely to be worth more down the track and also serves as a but of nostalgia.
    Anyone who is a true enthusiast will never berate one for not spending as much money as them, or doing something different than the norm, etc...though trawling through the many forums would have you questioning that statement.
    I had my 1995 MR2 and other than the TOM'S intake (not the knockoff) it was completely standard, down to the original 1?wheels and tape player. The amount of comments I got for this fact made it one of the more popular cars, and it was regularly put on show for the club as an example.

As for going alone, if you are a bit of a people person, then this is how you meet these people and end up in the groups. It can be very overwhelming but just remember. ..you share at least ONE passion.

As for the rest. ..NEVER feel pressured to do anything you aren't comfortable with. If you get pulled over, is not everyone else who pays for it. And the cop won't give a crap if 'everyone else is doing it".
    You will probably find alot of the spectators wanting it drove off normally and barely creep over the limit themselves.

All you have to do is remember that there is no one right way to mod (or not to mod) and that uniqueness is what keeps the car scene going. ..or we would all just be essentially driving smaller Camry's.
    BRZ, Ollie and Howl like this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:

Howl (02-05-16)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience

@Karl07 well said buddy, thumbs up from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oli
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't stress that your car is plain vanilla.. people love the 86 and brz and would be very friendly and happy to see you share their love and passion for the car. I have found people to be very friendly and pleasant and always happy to discuss all things 86 and brz. the car is an absolute joy to drive and even more so when you feel part of a community who share your passion, whether by giving you a friendly wave whilst in traffic of by meeting you at an event or even better going for a cruise. Just enjoy and don't worry too much about the little details. Peace out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oli For This Useful Post:

BRZ (03-05-16)