Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
Discuss Dealers Cashing In! at the Dealer Specials and Promotions within the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S Forum and Enthusiasts Community; just curious to know every ones experience on dealers charging extra on fixed price or ...
    Idoliser
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just curious to know every ones experience on dealers charging extra on fixed price or free service?
    My dealer wants to replace wiper blades and clutch fluid every service and they charge for it like a wounded bull.
    On company cars dealers like to adjust headlights on every service.
    It seems they make profit from over servicing the cars , and not from selling cars.

Z86
    Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealers Cashing In!

They can't just do the extra stuff, they need to ask for your approval. So just say no.

And yes, service centers are very profitable. You charge a customer $120+ an hour for service work that you are paying an apprentice $15 an hour to perform.

Fanatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
    just curious to know every ones experience on dealers charging extra on fixed price or free service?
    My dealer wants to replace wiper blades and clutch fluid every service and they charge for it like a wounded bull.
    On company cars dealers like to adjust headlights on every service.
    It seems they make profit from over servicing the cars , and not from selling cars.
    Tell the sons of bitches that you will replace the wiper blades yourself if and when it is required. As for the clutch fluid, if they believe it needs to be changed, then they can do that under warranty at no cost to you. The fact of the matter is that the service centre is where most of the profit is made and it sucks that they are trying to milk you for unnessary extra stuff.

If I was the fleet manager and a dealer was adjusting the headlights on my cars every service I would take my business elsewhere quick smart.

Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a DVD from importmonster.com.au that gives you a detailed step by step DIY guide to servicing the 86/BRZ. The 2 discs includes: Motor Oil Change. Oil filter Change. Gearbox oil change. Diff oil change. Deconstruction of the front and rear bumpers. Removal of headlights. Removal or taillights. Servicing the Airconditioning. Deconstruction and reconstruction of your DASH! Decon and Reconstrucition of your Cluster etch and soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more. It gives you information on every part number used in servicing including the TORQ specs! The tools that you need (VERY IMPORTANT), the time you need. It is in Japanese but even a 4 year old monkey can understand the highly detailed and very well paced (no SHORTCUTS whatsoever!) videos. I think the price delivered to your door is about $70 a cheap investment considering that you don't need to go to a mechanic to replace your oils, coolants, filters... Pretty much anything +more more more that what toyota standard servicing.

Invest in this DVD, buy a good set of tools, watch the video on your tea break and you would be surprised how simple this car is to deconstruct/reconstruct/Service... You can even tell your mechanic"see you in five years for my pink slip!"

The good thing about servicing your own car is that through repetition, you learn to perfect the skill. With the right tools, the only difficult part is the first service, the next ones will be a breeze!

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealers Cashing In!

The bad thing about servicing your own car is that you end up with zero service history and no warranty. Try selling a three car with no service history and see how far you get. Very poor advice

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. I always service my own cars. ALWAYS. Without fail. The hell if some half retarded Dealership Apprentice is going anywhere near my car.

If I have to, or I'm being lazy, I go to a reputable Mechanic for things that either require a tune before using or a hoist, but never a dealership. I fill out the services myself, and never had a drama. But then useless things resale value and warranty have never meant anything to me, unlike some who obsess over these things.

Life's too short, build it yourself, drive it, maintain it, and move on. You can always use the skills you learn from doing things yourself, unlike just bending over because it's what everyone else does. But then, no dealership will touch any of my cars for trade in. Anyone in the market for a 305rwkw BA XR6 Turbo with 97000k's for $14000?

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think cheekydonkey's DVD advise is excellent. This is not about fully replacing Log book servicing with DIY.
    DIY can be additional oil/filter/diff changes to augment the minimum required in logbook.

Other things mentioned, e.g. "Deconstruction and reconstruction of your DASH" have nothing to do with log book service anyway, and are there to eliminate rattles or customise.

Fanatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with servicing your own car even during warranty. Keep receipts for all service items, preferably using genuine parts & document everything. That video sounds great but in Japanese ?

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealers Cashing In!

Nothing wrong with it if you want your warranty voided. additional servicing is fine obviously but not log book servcing

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've collected a ton of tools over the years for working on mainly toyota's and subaru's... the vast majority are metric, but still have the odd 1/2", 7/8" spanners and sockets around the place for some of the US-made parts (V-band clamp nuts, wastegate fittings etc)

Some of my favorites are the metric combo long ring spanners in toyota sizes (8/10, 10/12, 12/14, 14/17, 17/19 etc) and metric toyota-sized long ring spanners with one ratchet end and one fixed end

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123